What Causes Truck Accidents?
Many factors can lead to a large truck collision. Here are a few of the most common causes our Redlands truck accident lawyer has found.
- Poor Training - Due to driver shortages, negligent trucking companies will rush new drivers into service. This can leave these truckers unprepared for the challenges of their job. Some companies may even neglect this critical training just to save money.
- Improper Maintenance of Trucks and Trailers - For some trucking companies, the cost of maintaining their fleet is huge. This is why some companies avoid properly maintaining their vehicles. However, this can lead to much greater costs in property damage and human lives. Trucks with unchecked brakes may not stop in an emergency situation. Tires that are not properly checked could experience a blowout, which can be far more catastrophic than a blowout on a passenger vehicle. Truck tires carry such explosive power that a passerby could suffer fatal injuries from being near a truck tire blowout.
- Poor Load Distribution - When carrying tons of cargo, the distribution of that weight is critical. Failing to tether cargo or placing too many boxes on one side of a trailer could cause tipping. If a truck falls on top of another vehicle, the resulting crash could be fatal.
- Distracted Driving - To combat the tedium of long hauls, truckers have come up with many ways to entertain themselves. Unfortunately, these methods can go too far. Taking your eyes off the road for even a moment can cause drivers to miss critical events. Worse yet, the number of distractions are increasing as technology improves. Mobile games, streaming video, social media and other distractions contributed to the 3,166 lives lost to distracted driving in 2017.
- Driving Under the Influence - Alcohol, illegal drugs and pharmaceuticals can all hamper an individual's ability to drive. In California, the use of alcohol while driving lead to 1,167 fatalities and 18,569 injuries over the course of 2017.
Why Choose Our Firm?
Over 100 Years of Experience
Our Redlands Roots Go Deep
A Reputation For Excellence
With You At Every Step
You'll Speak Directly With An Attorney
Personalized Attention to Every Client