What Causes Pedestrian Accidents?
In most vehicle-related pedestrian accidents, the driver of the vehicle was responsible for the crash. Careless, reckless or negligent driving behavior leads to potentially fatal crashes every day. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, almost 115 people lose their lives to pedestrian accidents every week. That's one life every 88 minutes.
Behaviors that can lead to these deadly collisions include:
- Steering erratically
- Calming a child while driving
- Eating while driving
- Putting on makeup while driving
- Changing stations on the radio
- Watching livestreams while driving
- Talking on your phone while driving
- Texting while driving
- Failing to watch where you are driving
Ways to Pursue Compensation After a Pedestrian Accident
Individuals injured by the actions of careless, negligent or distracted drivers have options. Here are a few of the methods our Redlands pedestrian accident lawyer can use to recover compensation:
- Insurance Claims - The auto insurance coverage carried by the at-fault driver may cover pedestrian accidents. This means you will need to file a claim on the driver's insurance policy. However, insurance companies are still businesses focused on profits. This means claims adjusters may try to lowball or minimize your settlement. Worse yet, if you sign that settlement you could be forfeiting your ability to take the driver or insurer to court later. Consulting an experienced pedestrian accident attorney could help avoid these situations.
- Civil Lawsuit - Injured pedestrians may be able to file a lawsuit against at-fault drivers in pedestrian accidents. In these cases, the injured individual must prove the other party's negligence. This will require solid evidence and witness testimony. Other legal requirements may further complicate the case. An experienced attorney should be able to navigate these issues.
Why Choose Our Firm?
Over 100 Years of Experience
Our Redlands Roots Go Deep
A Reputation For Excellence
With You At Every Step
You'll Speak Directly With An Attorney
Personalized Attention to Every Client